Applying To College

How do I apply?

It's best to apply for college as early as you can—October or November of your senior year in high school. That way you get the best opportunities for early admission and scholarship funding. A good time to submit applications is during your high school's Utah College Awareness & Application Week in October. If your high school doesn't participate in UCAW, you can still apply with the help of your school counselor, parents, teachers, or mentors.

Use the resources on this website, especially the College Guide, to review deadlines, application requirements, and other relevant application information.

If you are planning on taking some time off from college for humanitarian, religious service, or military service, you should still complete a college application your senior year of high school. After you have been accepted to the college of your choice, then you can apply for a deferment of admissions while you are away.

How to apply:

Collect the required documentation listed below, then select an application for the school you're planning to attend and follow the steps.

Information you will need:

  • Personal information: full legal name, birth date, address, phone number, e-mail
  • Birth place: city, county, state, country
  • Contact information of parent/guardian: name, address, phone number, e-mail
  • High school name and address, or high school code
  • High school transcript
  • ACT score (often on transcript)
  • High school graduation date
  • Admission term requested (example: Fall 2017)
  • Length of time living in Utah (the application may ask for proof of residency, such as schooling or work history)
  • Driver's license or state ID card
  • Social Security Number
  • Method of payment for application fee (credit card or fee waiver)

Links to applications:

Utah System of Technical Colleges

Want to apply to an out of state school? Use our college search tool to search for a school. When you find your school, click on it and then click on the Admissions tab.

After you have completed a college application, you need to send in your high school transcript, including any college transcripts you acquired by taking concurrent enrollment courses. Your high school registrar will be able to help you with your high school transcript. You will need to contact the college(s) from which you earned college credit to have them send your college transcripts to the college you will be attending. If possible, ask for your transcript to be sent electronically, as electronic transcripts reduce errors and speed up the acceptance process.

The next step is finalizing how you will pay for college. It is important to understand the difference between grants, work-study, scholarships and loans.

Every student should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You never know what kind of grants or low-interest loans you may qualify for. The FAFSA is available on October 1 each year. Visit to learn more and fill out the form.

In addition to applying for grants and loans, you should also look for scholarships. There are thousands of available scholarships for athletics, merit, financial need, service, and much more. Talk to your school counselor about which scholarships you can apply for. Sign up for the Prepare and Pay for College newsletter to get information about available scholarships.